_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE for desktop widgets

boamaod at gmail.com boamaod at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 06:33:54 PST 2011

Hi all,

What's the right window type hint for desktop widgets? I have been
involved with Screenlets project which provides some old school python
widgets mainly for GNOME. If I look at the code, there has been never
clear decision about what window type hint to use. DOCK, TOOLBAR and
UTILITY have been used throughout the history, but none of these really
satisfies the needs of widget users.

The problems are:

* Hiding the widgets on "Show desktop". Normally, this shouldn't happen.
Usually happens using TOOLBAR, UTILITY.
* Denying focus and/or proper drag and drop functions. This occasionally
happens using DOCK, TOOLBAR.

About a month ago Screenlets switched to DOCK in order to not hide the
widgets on "Show Desktop" in Unity shell of Ubuntu. However this ruined
the focus plus drag and drop in GNOME shell. Now the best option among
all the bad choices seems to use UTILITY, but this makes widgets to
disappear on "Show desktop". TOOLBAR too, has focus plus drag and drop
issues under GNOME shell.

For my perspective, widgets are quite special objects on desktop. Some
people like to have them on special desktop layer, but mostly they are
kept always seen on the desktop in background of other windows, so "Show
desktop" makes the widgets appear. Widgets cannot be treated as utility
windows, docks or toolbars and probably it would be good, if they had a
special window type.

This could even help desktop environments to set some special overall
style for consistent looks of the widgets. What do you say?

Guido Tabbernuk