_DBUS_APPLICATION_ID, _DBUS_UNIQUE_NAME, and _DBUS_OBJECT_PATH

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Dec 16 08:51:48 PST 2011

On Friday, December 16, 2011 10:04:05 Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> like asking a window, "what are the URLs of documents you are showing?".

related to this: we have implemented this in libkactivities as
ResourceInstance which allows an application to publish what it is viewing. as
it is published rather than queried this also lets one feed it into events
recorders for logging, heuristics, etc. it uses DBus to do all the
communication.

it would be fantastic if there was one generally agreed upon way of doing this
so we don't end up with application chaos -> some doing it one way, others
another. as we already have a working implementation, ResourceInstance could
provide a starting point for a shared standard mechanism for applications to
publish their "what is open" information.

if you're interested, i'd be happy to provide more details as to how it is
currently implemented (in terms of DBus interfaces)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se