Adding Unity to OnlyShowIn allowed values

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Feb 22 07:20:14 PST 2011

It is here: http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apb.html

> Even if I am a bit disappointed about that, my question stays:
> whether it is at compile time or at runtime, how do we identify
> a desktop environment ?

I think that for most cases people know what desktop they are because
they're specifically building for that desktop.  For instance, it's
unlikely the KDE desktop file loader would be used on GNOME so it has in
it's code to look for "KDE".  I don't know of a runtime way to determine
the desktop.

That being said, I think it might be worth a standard environment
variable to get that.  There isn't one that I know of today.

		--Ted