Adding Unity to OnlyShowIn allowed values

Pierre Wieser pwieser at trychlos.org
Mon Feb 21 16:25:13 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Pierre Wieser <pwieser at trychlos.org>
> wrote:
> > Well, I used to believe that autotools were rather useful at compile
> > time. What I am searching for here is a runtime check, and I thought
> > this was the meaning of the Desktop Entry keys OnlyShowIn, NotShowIn
> > ?
> >
> > I cannot suppose that having compiled my application under, say,
> > Gnome,
> > it will actually be executed under the same desktop. Or should I ?
>
> Matthias meant to say that autotools don't check for a defined
> "environment" (like "Foobuntu 10.4 32-bit"), instead it checks for
> various features it uses. This is not a suggestion to use autotools
> but rather a suggestion that if you for example wanted to talk to the
> session manager, check which of the known session managers is on DBus
> rather than checking if the desktop is running KDE4 or GNOME3.

OK, thanks for the explanation, Patryk.

Surely, I am not enough clear.

I am reading the Desktop Entry spec, and more particularly about
OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn keys. This spec refers to a desktop
environment, and there is a list of "recognized" desktops.

So what I want is not a particular feature, but really a desktop
name (and I do not care of the version of the desktop as the
spec itself does not care).

Do you mean that the "mind/idea" of the spec is that the identification
of the desktop environment is to be made at compile time ?

Even if I am a bit disappointed about that, my question stays:
whether it is at compile time or at runtime, how do we identify
a desktop environment ?

Coming back to the head of this thread, Ted asked for adding
"Unity" to the desktops list for these two keys. If I find a
desktop entry with "OnlyShowIn=Unity", how do I know that I am
running under Unity desktop ?

a) because i/my application have been compiled under Unity ?
b) because i/my application is running under Unity ?

IMHO, the later would be far better than the former. But the
question is fundamentally the same, isn't ?

Regards
Pierre