XDG specs migrated to git

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 11 09:50:12 PST 2011

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
> just for the record.. ask to who?

freeedesktop.org ..

	http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests

> also, I would like an agreed way to proceed for proposed specifications,
> like

agreed

> * everybody free to make branches
> * one branch per proposed specification (or proposed new version of an
> existing specification)
> * merged in master once agreed upon

i don't know if it needs to be "once agreed upon" since that begs the question
"who counts towards agreement"?

e.g. the StatusNotifier specification. KDE is using it, Canonical is using it
in their indicators (which it seems OpenSuse's GNOME is also getting packages
for now), there's at least one dock app using them .... but it isn't being
used by upstream GNOME.

such specifications that are actually implemented and considered at least at a
"first release quality" state should, imho, be able to be merged into master.

while being drafted, it makes sense to do so in a branch, though. in fact, we
could say that all drafts should happen in a branch and only releases and bug
fixes be merged into master?

anyways, i'd personally like to see _all_ implemented specs in that repository
so that whenever one of us decides to implement something we can check xdg-
specs and see the state of the art, hopefully avoiding wheel reinvention as we
go.

so while i agree with your suggested workflow in general, i suggest we define
"agreed upon" as meaning "at least the first actual release of the spec with
at least one production implementation". thoughts?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se