XDG specs migrated to git

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 12:19:08 PST 2011

On Tuesday 11 January 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 11, 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
> > just for the record.. ask to who?
>
> freeedesktop.org ..
>
> 	http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests

done ;)

> > also, I would like an agreed way to proceed for proposed specifications,
> > like
>
> agreed
>
> > * everybody free to make branches
> > * one branch per proposed specification (or proposed new version of an
> > existing specification)
> > * merged in master once agreed upon
>
> i don't know if it needs to be "once agreed upon" since that begs the
> question "who counts towards agreement"?

yeah, tricky question indeed, from what i see this step never was really
clear.

> so while i agree with your suggested workflow in general, i suggest we
> define "agreed upon" as meaning "at least the first actual release of the
> spec with at least one production implementation". thoughts?
that could be nice, either one fully working or two with the second at least
partial?
I think is important to agree when one can be considered "real" also for some
quite pratic implications: for instance if the spec talks about a DBUS
interface,  when becomes acceptable that implementations take the
org.freedesktop.foo bus name..
The implementations of StatusNotifierItem for instance still have
org.kde.StatusNotifierItem: (they really should switch to org.freedesktop by
now, modulo the funny retrocompatibility issues that such a move will imply)

Cheers,
Marco Martin