app id in desktop file

Thiago Macieira thiago at
Wed May 11 02:15:33 PDT 2011

On Wednesday, 11 de May de 2011 09:57:20 Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 at 11:25:34 -0700, Dylan McCall wrote:
> > Right now my impression is we have a
> > _convention_ where a namespace should be based on an Internet domain
> > name the software's creator is in control of.
> I've opened a bug for the D-Bus Specification (which does say you should
> use a reversed domain name, but it's too well-hidden at the moment) and
> will sort out a patch later:
>     <>
> Nitpicking: for anything on D-Bus you mean "the designer of the D-Bus API",
> not "the software's creator", although those two are frequently the same
> project.

On that note, we could have a namespace for D-Bus "XDG names" (matching the
desktop file ID).

Something lengthy like:

or shorter ("x-xdg.$name"). This should allow for a 1:1 mapping between a
process's acquired name on the bus and the desktop file.

Are there any restrictions on the naming of desktop files?

Thiago Macieira - thiago (AT) - thiago (AT)
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358