Showing a file in the file manager

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri May 20 11:10:58 PDT 2011

On Friday, 2011-05-20, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> Ummm, which preferences?  For example, xdg-open does some heuristics to
> determine which desktop environment is running, and then it just calls
> gnome-open, kfmclient, exo-open, etc. as appropriate.
>
> (Yeah, it's kind of ugly.  This D-Bus stuff would indeed make things
> much easier.)

Please excuse me for being slighlty offtopic, but being one of the initiators
of the xdg-utils scripts I have to voice my agreement with this assessment.

These scripts where intended as a quick work around until a more apporpriate
solution like standardzed interfaces could be provided.

Unfortunately this never happened for various reasons, so any move into that
direction is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring