Extending the Desktop Entry spec for static app actions

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 13:53:29 PST 2011

Il giorno gio, 24/11/2011 alle 17.43 +0000, Peter Brett ha scritto:
> Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Il giorno gio, 24/11/2011 alle 16.44 +0000, Peter Brett ha scritto:
> > [...]
>
> It would be nice to avoid a repeat of the controversy that happened
> earlier this year w.r.t. libappindicator/StatusNotifier and GNOME, and I
> think the best way to avoid that would be for the GNOME and KDE and
> Unity (and XFCE etc.) folks to collaborate and present a proposal
> *together*.

I totally agree with you here. That's why I'm asking the freedesktop
list to agree on a common syntax, before this is pushed to GIO and then
the rest of GNOME.

> Even if some of the other DEs don't support exactly this feature yet,
> it's possible that they might be working on something similar or have
> plans to implement such a feature in the future, so why not get as many
> potential interested parties to sign off on the proposal as possible?

That would be cool, as we could write a standard flexible just enough to
accomodate various requirements and various use cases. But again, we
need input from different communities.
What in particular should be avoided, though, is having one de-facto
standard that multiple communities support but is not appropriate for
another (like, unfortunately, libappindicator), as not everyone may
accept "good enough" in name of standard adherence.

Giovanni