shared mime info: URI scheme handlers for non browsers

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Mon Oct 17 14:06:24 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Scrool <scroolik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to ask you for clarification of "URI scheme handlers" section
> in Shared MIME-info Database spec. Quote from last paragraph:
>
> "Note that this virtual mime-type is not for listing URI schemes that
> an application can load files from. For example, a movie player would
> not list x-scheme-handler/http in its supported mime-types, but it
> would list x-scheme-handler/rtsp if it supported playing back from
> RTSP locations."
>
> a) Let's have a video player that uses HTTP to download a movie and
> its subsequent play. This player should not register
> x-scheme-handler/http, right?
> b) Another video player that uses HTTP as a transport protocol for
> video streaming. This player may register x-scheme-handler/http?

Claiming to handle "x-scheme-handler/http" is basically saying "I can
handle anything that you throw my way as long as it's HTTP". That
includes regular web pages so I guess the answer is that no
media-specific application should ever register for a generic
protocol.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
I solve problems.