[RFC] Metadata access and storage

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 01:38:42 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, September 6, 2011 00:44:42 Anders Feder wrote:
> How would /you/ solve this problem?

by doing what the Nepomuk, Tracker, Strigi and Zeitgeist teams have been
doing: continue to standardize on storage and increase interoperability
between the various semantic projects.

we don't need yet another semantic desktop project: they are huge, difficult
beasts to get right and we already have a few very good tools which are,
indeed, being used by many software packages.

we also don't need yet another query language: there is a standardized one in
the form of SPARQL (www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query)

you mentioned problems in Evolution, Nautilus, Empathy and Thunderbird and i'm
sure they exist as you noted. however, the issue is not the lack of
availability of semantic desktop storage, access or interfaces to the engines
that drive those parts, but the usage of them by applications such as the ones
you used as examples.

Zeitgeist's Journal, Akonadi, Dolphin, Plasma, Digikam, Gwenview and so many
more have taken advantage of what exists and anjoy interoperable semantic data
usage (storage, retrieval, display) today.

my suggestion is that instead of creating more diversity in solutions, leading
to less interoperability and dividing efforts into smaller (likely to be less
sustainable individually) solutions that efforts go into improving the
foundations of what is already there.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se