[RFC] Metadata access and storage

Anders Feder lists.anders at feder.dk
Tue Sep 6 03:58:33 PDT 2011

Yes, but these tools has been available for years now and they still are
not integrated in applications (at least not on the GNOME end). How do
you propose to rectify this situation (other than to say: "improve
thyself!" to the developers, which clearly is not accomplishing anything)?

Anders Feder

Den 06-09-2011 10:38, Aaron J. Seigo skrev:
> On Tuesday, September 6, 2011 00:44:42 Anders Feder wrote:
>> How would /you/ solve this problem?
> by doing what the Nepomuk, Tracker, Strigi and Zeitgeist teams have been
> doing: continue to standardize on storage and increase interoperability
> between the various semantic projects.
>
> we don't need yet another semantic desktop project: they are huge, difficult
> beasts to get right and we already have a few very good tools which are,
> indeed, being used by many software packages.
>
> we also don't need yet another query language: there is a standardized one in
> the form of SPARQL (www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query)
>
> you mentioned problems in Evolution, Nautilus, Empathy and Thunderbird and i'm
> sure they exist as you noted. however, the issue is not the lack of
> availability of semantic desktop storage, access or interfaces to the engines
> that drive those parts, but the usage of them by applications such as the ones
> you used as examples.
>
> Zeitgeist's Journal, Akonadi, Dolphin, Plasma, Digikam, Gwenview and so many
> more have taken advantage of what exists and anjoy interoperable semantic data
> usage (storage, retrieval, display) today.
>
> my suggestion is that instead of creating more diversity in solutions, leading
> to less interoperability and dividing efforts into smaller (likely to be less
> sustainable individually) solutions that efforts go into improving the
> foundations of what is already there.

Anders Feder