[RFC] Metadata access and storage

Anders Feder lists.anders at feder.dk
Tue Sep 6 08:28:56 PDT 2011

Den 06-09-2011 16:03, Michael Pyne skrev:
> On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:58:33 Anders Feder wrote:
>> Yes, but these tools has been available for years now and they still are
>> not integrated in applications (at least not on the GNOME end). How do
>> you propose to rectify this situation (other than to say: "improve
>> thyself!" to the developers, which clearly is not accomplishing anything)?
> Given that there already exist GNOME-centric tools for semantic data
> integration (i.e. Zeitgeist) it sounds like the work needs to be done on the
> application end, not by inventing /another/ semantic data framework.
Does Zeitgeist have features for integration of semantic data? I thought
it was just a timeline of events?

> I mean let's face it, the reason the job hasn't been done yet is because the
> job is enormous, not simply because the correct library hasn't been invented
> yet. This is all not helped by the fact that most developers have zero
> inclination to do the extra work to describe ontologies and use semantic
> layers (similar in my mind to the choice between using plain text files for
> simple config or using a full-blown SQL database). Simply making up a
> different backend/semantic interface is not going to help matters unless that
> new interface is /significantly easier/ to develop against (and then why not
> just port that interface over to the existing frameworks?)
What makes you think that the developers are willing to use the existing
frameworks if only they were easier to use? The concerns I've heard over
using e.g. Tracker as a backend have mainly been related to performance.
> Regards,
>   - Michael Pyne

Thanks,

Anders Feder