[RFC] Metadata access and storage

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Tue Sep 6 07:03:32 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, September 06, 2011 12:58:33 Anders Feder wrote:
> Yes, but these tools has been available for years now and they still are
> not integrated in applications (at least not on the GNOME end). How do
> you propose to rectify this situation (other than to say: "improve
> thyself!" to the developers, which clearly is not accomplishing anything)?

Given that there already exist GNOME-centric tools for semantic data
integration (i.e. Zeitgeist) it sounds like the work needs to be done on the
application end, not by inventing /another/ semantic data framework.

I mean let's face it, the reason the job hasn't been done yet is because the
job is enormous, not simply because the correct library hasn't been invented
yet. This is all not helped by the fact that most developers have zero
inclination to do the extra work to describe ontologies and use semantic
layers (similar in my mind to the choice between using plain text files for
simple config or using a full-blown SQL database). Simply making up a
different backend/semantic interface is not going to help matters unless that
new interface is /significantly easier/ to develop against (and then why not
just port that interface over to the existing frameworks?)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne