Proposal: preferred-theme-spec - a spec for getting and setting default icon/cursor/sound themes

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 11:58:24 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner at gnome.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I can make sure it gets into Qt at least, and I'm sure we can coordinate
>> to get it into GTK with backwards compatibility.
>

> I guess my main point is:
> Getting your spec adopted by QT and/or GTK+  makes a strong argument for
> moving it to freedesktop.org. Trying to host it on fd.o in order to make
> an argument for QT and GTK+ to adopt it does not.
>

> Regards,
> Florian

It tends to be a bit of a chicken and egg issue. If the spec is not
"blessed" by fdo, Qt/Gtk tend to refuse it (I would think).

I understand what you mean though. If I understand correctly, all we would
then need to do is get approval of Gtk/Qt guys. I'll ask the Qt guys but I
don't keep in touch with Gtk devs; I see there are a lot of gnome devs on
this list so if we could discuss this here, it would be great.

J. Leclanche