New handling for URI scheme handlers

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Dec 2 06:53:13 PST 2013

On Monday, 2013-12-02, 15:34:34, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 15:16 +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > >
> > > Having managed a very large proxy configuration for some years (150k+
> > > users, high-availability) I can tell you that pretty much any
> > > application
> > > that pretends talking http lies, and only full browsers implement
> > > (mostly)
> > > the complete http spec (including error handling)
> >
> > David obviously looks at this from a KDE perspective, where the same HTTP
> > implemention is used by all applications, including the browser.
> > IIRC it can even transfer a session from one application to another, e.g.
> > avoiding the one-time-URL problem.
>
> If I use Opera, Firefox or Chrome in KDE, I'm not sure it magically uses
> the same HTTP implementation.

Sure, but David also mentioned that we enable users to tell our URL handling
code to delegate HTTP always to a certain program/browser and was, in my
interpretation, discussing the implications on the standard setup.

So, within this assumed context, I was pointing out to Nicolas that the HTTP
implemention in question was "browser capable".

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring