New handling for URI scheme handlers

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Mon Dec 2 07:05:56 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 15:53 +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2013-12-02, 15:34:34, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > David obviously looks at this from a KDE perspective, where the same HTTP
> > > implemention is used by all applications, including the browser.
> > > IIRC it can even transfer a session from one application to another, e.g.
> > > avoiding the one-time-URL problem.
> >
> > If I use Opera, Firefox or Chrome in KDE, I'm not sure it magically uses
> > the same HTTP implementation.
>
> Sure, but David also mentioned that we enable users to tell our URL handling
> code to delegate HTTP always to a certain program/browser and was, in my
> interpretation, discussing the implications on the standard setup.
>
> So, within this assumed context, I was pointing out to Nicolas that the HTTP
> implemention in question was "browser capable".

It's certainly possible to implement this feature the way mentioned when
you know that the default HTTP handler will be able to transfer/share
session information with the browser.

But David's original request was for this to work the same way across
desktops. We don't have any such support in GNOME, and I don't see it as
something that's worth the effort either. I guess that brings David's
question to a close.