New handling for URI scheme handlers

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 3 00:35:43 PST 2013

On Monday 02 December 2013 09:40:12 Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Lun 2 décembre 2013 00:59, David Faure a écrit :
> > (same with any other content application that can handle HTTP urls on its
> > own;
> > same with other schemes that apps might support, like FTP).
>
> Having managed a very large proxy configuration for some years (150k+
> users, high-availability) I can tell you that pretty much any application
> that pretends talking http lies, and only full browsers implement (mostly)
> the complete http spec (including error handling)

Well, in KDE the http implementation used by browsers and the one used by
applications is exactly the same.... the same kio_http process handles both.

Same thing in pure Qt applications (QtWebKit uses QNetworkAccessManager, which
is available to all Qt applications).

> So giving any http link to anything but a browser is a recipe for multiple
> crashes and errors as soon as your network conditions become non-trivial.

I'll let the gimp authors reply (to pick one example of an app I know, that
supports HTTP without using KIO).