Binary name in the desktop file

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Dec 26 05:20:04 PST 2013

On quinta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2013 13:11:58, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> Runners are programs like krunner, lxqt-runner and such. As for
> intents, they're something I've been working on for a while (and
> repeatedly sent RFCs to this mailing list about), and they need to be
> able to start a program without any specific argument.

I don't see how getting the binary name out of the Exec= line will do you any
good. I also don't see how launching a program without any of the arguments
that were specified in the Exec= line would be even a good idea.

Let's take your example:

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/adys/.local/share/wineprefixes/default"
wine start /ProgIDOpen chm.file %f

The "program" in this case is start.exe, which only Wine knows how to find. If
you *really* wanted to run this program without arguments, your command line
should be:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/adys/.local/share/wineprefixes/default" wine start

And besides, what good is that? It will exit immediately because it wasn't
told what to start.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358