Binary name in the desktop file

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Thu Dec 26 12:30:38 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> > On quinta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2013 10:56:11, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> >> I'd really like to be able to get the binary name from desktop files
> >> (eg a way to "start without any argument").
> >
> > Why?
> >

> I need it for intents, for one. Secondly, what I said above: Runners
> need it in order not to fail for some programs. And third, it seems
> absurd that it's not something possible to date.

Why do you need it for intents? If it's to show the name of the binary to
the user, I'm quite sure they'd love to see 'baobab' or 'palimpsest' or
'wine-server' instead of the app that they launched.

If it's to identify an app, doing it by binary is a terrible idea, since
then you're not going to capture all of the single-binary use-cases, such
as 'wine-server'. Firefox / Chrome apps also generate desktop files and try
to change the WM_CLASS at runtime to show what app is currently running.
Use the various existing ways to map an application back to its .desktop
file and DBus name.

> --
> > Thiago Macieira - thiago (AT) macieira.info - thiago (AT) kde.org
> >    Software Architect - Intel Open Source Technology Center
> >       PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
> >       E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

  Jasper