Binary name in the desktop file

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Dec 26 07:10:56 PST 2013

On Thursday, 2013-12-26, 14:46:13, Jerome Leclanche wrote:

> I'm somewhat losing track of what's actually being said here.

Yes, sorry.

This particual sub thread discusses why you need a special solution in the
first place.

For example the snippet you posted had clearly /usr/bin/env as the command,
but somehow this is not the one you are expecting.
This lead to the assumption that you are either expecting wine or start.exe to
be the one you'd like to have.

In both cases the .desktop file is using hacks or helpers to ensure the
required runtime for the actual command.

So we were discussing proper ways of ensure that command in the Exec line is
actually the command and ensures itself that its runtime requirements are met.

In both possible alternative cases, i.e. independed of whether you consider
wine or start.exe to be the target command, an appropriate start script would
have solved that without requiring any extra support in either spec or
launchers.

E.g. a wine.sh that gets
start /ProgIDOpen chm.fie.%f
as its arguments in the case of wine being the actual target command

or start.exe.sh that gets
/ProgIDOpen chm.file %f
as its argument in case of start.exe being the actual target command.

In other words avoiding the problem to exist in the first place instead of
trying to work around it.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring