Binary name in the desktop file

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 07:34:03 PST 2013

I'm sorry, you're right. I should have been clearer.

I need this functionality for intents, but I was just trying to
display that I'm not the only one actually needing it (and that it's
not just theoretical). Currently, Wine creates the sort of desktop
files I pasted in the original post. This causes runners (like
lxqt-runner) to think those programs should be displayed when you
start writing "env" (they are completely irrelevant and the use of
"env" is an implementation detail).

I should probably have written two separate mails for this but this
seemed relevant. Anyway, that specific use case is fixed with an
Environment key, which would be easy enough to implement (and
backwards compatibility would be unharmed).

More generic:
desktop files make the assertion that starting a program is inherently
the same *with* and *without* arguments. This is declaratively very
annoying, because it prevents programs from having a different command
line for args / no args. I'm surprised this hasn't been done before
since the desktop files are shared between, for example, menus/runners
and xdg-open. Maybe it's my nature of never trusting user (in that
case: application developer) input kicking in, but it means that an
app that would expect different syntax with and without args will not
work in one of the cases, and there is no way to fix it (other than
working around it at the application level, which is frankly not
something xdg should be dictating).
I guess it is too late to fix it, but my backwards-compatible proposal
would do the job for apps that care about it. If it's missing, we just
assume the app starts the same way with and without args.

J. Leclanche