Binary name in the desktop file

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Dec 28 14:39:38 PST 2013

On quinta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2013 21:15:49, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> For the exact same reason menus and any kind of application runners
> do. That is to say, not that much. It's needed for the rarer case
> where the application accepts different parameters/different command
> line depending on whether it has input args or not.
> What bothers me here is that the concensus seems to be "Nobody has
> needed it so far", but this is clearly false; there just seems to be
> pressure not to need it, and call applications needing it "a bug".

Jerome, the problem is that no one here understands why you need to know the
binary name.

Forget the environment. That was a side-effect of your using the wine file as an
example. Maybe we need to add EnvironmentNNN entries to set environment
variables before launching an executable. But that's a *separate* discussion.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358