Removing OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn from desktop actions

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Jul 3 05:41:00 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 10:38 +0200, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 20:48:55 Ryan Lortie wrote:
> > > or might implement them differently.
> >
> > This is a good point that I hadn't considered before.  Maybe gnome-shell
> > would show them in a place that Transmission considered inappropriate.
>
> Should the application care about this at all? I'd suggest "no" for the
> following reasons:

Simple use case: Depending on location in the UI you might want to have
the user visible string in sentence case vs. title case.

I do believe that the vast majority of desktop actions shouldn't use
this, because the vast majority of application developers aren't
tailoring their UI for a particular desktop.  But, we shouldn't take
away the tools allowing them to be more precise if they want to take on
that maintenance burden.

Ted