Removing OnlyShowIn / NotShowIn from desktop actions

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Wed Jul 3 08:12:42 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at debian.org> wrote:

> Le 02/07/2013 23:54, Jasper St. Pierre a écrit :
>

>> I'm curious what the original rationale for adding OnlyShowIn /
>> NotShowIn to desktop actions. Personally, I think applications
>> switching behavior based on what desktop environment they're in is
>> wrong. I'm curious if we can remove these fields for desktop actions
>> from the desktop entry specification, since I cannot think of a valid
>> use case for environment-specific
>>

> Hey,
>
> There is probably no need to specify a target-desktop in most case, but I
> can see the option being useful for some specific cases ... what's the
> issue with keeping it as an option is somebody feels like the need to use
> it?

(I don't have specific examples in mind, but I can see it being used for
> desktop specific features or e.g when different desktops have different
> design views on what items should be exposed in their UI ... imagine an
> IDE, you might want have a list item "start Qt project" and "start KDE
> project" under KDE and "start GTK project" under GNOME or XFCE)

Why shouldn't an application be able to start a KDE project under GNOME?

Furthermore, why is this just applied to just actions interface, and
probably not to the in-window UI. Do we want to also specify
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP, which was shot down last time?

> Cheers,
> Sebastien Bacher

  Jasper