Adapting /usr/bin/xdg-open to recognize Mate too

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues antonielly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 17:01:31 PST 2013

On 4 March 2013 17:29, Stefano Karapetsas <stefano at karapetsas.com> wrote:

> >> In the interest of maximizing the usefulness of "xdg-open" for any
> popular
> >> desktop environment that exists for Linux, would it be politically
> >> feasible to adapt the official code for the next version of
> >> "/usr/bin/xdg-open" so that it can work properly for the Mate Desktop
> >> Environment?
>
> > Sure, please file bug(s) (preferably with patches), and I'll be happy >
> to import/adapt things as necessary.
>
> This is already available on xdg-utils git tree:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/**xdg/xdg-utils/commit/?id=**
> b961235b197647d6649ef3d48d7cc2**cecafe3d47<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/commit/?id=b961235b197647d6649ef3d48d7cc2cecafe3d47>

Nice! :)

Three questions more:

1) In detectDE(), wouldn't it be recommended to add
elif `dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus
/org/freedesktop/DBus org.freedesktop.DBus.GetNameOwner
string:org.mate.SessionManager > /dev/null 2>&1` ; then DE=mate;

to keep parallelism with the Gnome recognition code?

I believe this redundancy check would be useful, just in case the user (or
some application) removed MATE_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID.

(I guess this is the same reason for the inclusion of similar redundancy
check code to detect Gnome.)

2) Why is the patch you've showed not included in the master branch [
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-utils/snapshot/xdg-utils-master.tar.gz]?

I've opened the .tar.gz file, navigated to
"/xdg-utils-master/scripts/xdg-open", and CTRL-F for "mate", but found
nothing.

3) Does the last version of xdg-email recognize Mate?

If the answer is "no", then where can I report a bug, together with the
diff that would make the code work properly for that desktop environment? I
am interested in contributing to the xdg-utils project.

Regards,

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues