Conflicting mime types

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 04:41:24 PST 2013

http://web.archive.org/web/20090625062109/http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Iphone_PNG_images

I.. don't even know what to say.

If they are invalid PNGs then they should not be a child of image/png.
However they shouldnt register the *.png glob either as a glob implies "You
can somewhat safely assume such a file is of this mime type".

With that said, I don't think such a mime type has a place in
freedesktop.org.xml:
 - It's not an officially recognized mime type in any way
 - It's was likely originally intended to be a valid image/png
 - It's an implementation-specific bug/workaround/detail
 - PNG is a massively popular file format, who the hell thought this was a
good idea?

2c

J. Leclanche