[udisks] Can't automount disks

Samuli Suominen ssuominen at gentoo.org
Fri Mar 8 11:41:02 PST 2013

On 08/03/13 13:28, Gilles wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 12:20:02 +0100, Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr>
> wrote:
>> How do I configure PolicyKit so I'm allowed at least read access to
>> NTFS/FAT32 partitions?
>
> Without knowing what I'm doing, I just ran this...
> =============
> # /usr/libexec/polkitd &
> # /usr/libexec/udisks-daemon &
> =============
>
> ... and the KDE Dolphin filemanager automounted and granted me access
> to the two (ext4 and NTFS) partitions on the SATA drive. Cool :-)
>
> I'd still like to know a bit more about what applications are involved
> to allow users in Dolphin to access partitions on internal and
> external devices.
>
> Is there a good article somewhere that gives the big picture?

You need to run your session with ConsoleKit/dbus in the start so you
don't need to run the daemons like that afterwards

For example, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ConsoleKit
or first post of this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965-start-0.html
If you read between the lines from that post, it'll apply to any Linux
distro

I for example have ~/.xinitrc of `exec startxfce4 --with-ck-launch` and
use `startx` to run Xfce
I might have there something like `exec ck-launch-session startkde4` too
Then you need the pam_ck_connector.so module so that it runs when you
log into the system, like
$ grep pam_ck /etc/pam.d/*
/etc/pam.d/system-login:-session	optional	pam_ck_connector.so nox11
But this should already be handled by your distro...

Best if you just read those links I gave you, so I don't need to repeat
it all here ;-)

- Samuli