Freedesktop Application Icon / magic database (Debian)

Felix Natter fnatter at gmx.net
Wed May 1 04:41:19 PDT 2013

hi,

I am in the process of packaging "Freeplane" 1.2.x/1.3.x for Debian
(Testing/"wheezy") and am having problems with the icons being displayed under
GNOME3 (classic, nautilus 3.4.2).

Freeplane >=1.2.x uses the file extension *.mm and the magic information
(XML prefix) '<map version="freeplane' (which distinguishes it from
freemind that also uses *.mm).

This works for the right-click menu and the command executed from
nautilus 3.4.2 (GNOME): The freeplane icon is displayed in the right-click
menu if and only if the *.mm file starts with '<map version="freeplane'.
However, the icon that is configured (see next section)
is not displayed (I see a blank white icon).

The package installs /usr/share/mime/packages/freeplane.xml
(which is the basis for the other files in /usr/share/mime):
-------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
    <mime-type type="application/x-freeplane">
	<comment xml:lang="cs">Freeplane Mapa</comment>
  [...]
	<icon name="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/freeplane.svg" />
	<glob pattern="*.mm" />
	<magic priority="66">
		<match type="string" value="<map version="freeplane" offset="0" />
	</magic>
	<sub-class-of type="text/plain" />
    </mime-type>
</mime-info>
-------------------------------------

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/freeplane.svg does exist and can
be opened in eog.

I also tried <icon name="freeplane.svg"/>, <icon name="freeplane"/> and
<icon name="freeplane.png"/> (by changing
/usr/share/mime/packages/freeplane.xml and running update-mime-database
/usr/share/mime) but see no change.

'file' does not detect the correct mime type, but I don't think this
is related to my problem [1] (since it works with the right-click menu):
  $ file --mime freeplane.mm
freeplane.mm: application/x-freemind; charset=us-ascii
/usr/share/file/magic.mgc does not contain "freeplane", only "freemind".

I read this: http://wiki.debian.org/MimeTypesSupport, but apart from
this there is not much Debian documentation about mime types.
Of course I read the spec, but don't yet understand this:

icon: [...]  "This element is not used in the system database, but only
used in the user overridden database"

[1] OT: can this be fixed by editing /usr/lib/mime/packages/freeplane?
Shall I submit Freeplane magic information to
http://www.darwinsys.com/file/?

Thank you!

Best Regards,
--