Freedesktop Application Icon / magic database (Debian)

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed May 1 05:47:31 PDT 2013

On 1 May 2013 12:41, Felix Natter <fnatter at gmx.net> wrote:

>         <icon name="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/freeplane.svg"
> />

The spec isn't entirely clear on what the name attribute should be, but in
the one example I've got on my system, it's a simple filename, not a full
path:

<icon name="qgis-mime-icon.png"/>

> I also tried <icon name="freeplane.svg"/>, <icon name="freeplane"/> and
> <icon name="freeplane.png"/> (by changing
> /usr/share/mime/packages/freeplane.xml and running update-mime-database
> /usr/share/mime) but see no change.

It's possible that the file manager keeps its own cache of Mime types, so
you might need to restart the file manager as well.

> 'file' does not detect the correct mime type, but I don't think this
> is related to my problem [1] (since it works with the right-click menu):

file works with a separate database of magic numbers that predates
shared-mime-info. To check with the xdg database, you can run:

xdg-mime query filetype myfile.mm

Thomas