mime apps specification

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Sat Apr 5 12:04:15 PDT 2014

No idea how "DPNH" got there. Cat on a keyboard or something.

RealPlayer was an app known for making terrible forceful customizations to
the user's system on Windows. If you deleted the Start Menu, Desktop, or
Quick Launch shortcut and ran RealPlayer, it would notice and re-add all
the shortcuts. If it wasn't the default MIME handler, it would silently
reregister itself for all media types it supported.

Having an official way to do this is a way to tell ISVs that they *should*
do this, that it's recommended practice if you have an app that handles a
MIME type. Apps that want to force their way into the user's customizations
are RealPlayer, and we should let them feel shameful hacking up
/usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list on install, and bare the
responsibility if it breaks, not give them an API for it.

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 5:12 AM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On Friday 04 April 2014 16:54:01 Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> > > No. Application here means ISVs. E.g. if a third-party application like
> > > Skype, Google Earth, etc. absolutely wants to make itself default upon
> > > installation.
> >
> > This seems like a poor choice to me. Do we have any use cases for this?
> It
> > seems to me like this would be giving the app the RealPlayer API, which
> is
> > not something I'm comfortable doing. DPNH
>
> I don't understand the relation to RealPlayer or "DPNH",
> but about the whole ISV idea is: since I suspect some apps will want to set
> themselves as default upon installation (even if we don't agree with it),
> we
> might as well provide a way to do this cleanly rather than seeing these
> apps
> hack into /usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list.
> In any case this is the same level as sysadmin customizations, so whether
> or
> not ISVs use it doesn't change anything to the spec.
>
> --
> David Faure, faure at kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
> Working on KDE, in particular KDE Frameworks 5

  Jasper