mime apps specification

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 5 02:12:13 PDT 2014

On Friday 04 April 2014 16:54:01 Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> > No. Application here means ISVs. E.g. if a third-party application like
> > Skype, Google Earth, etc. absolutely wants to make itself default upon
> > installation.
>
> This seems like a poor choice to me. Do we have any use cases for this? It
> seems to me like this would be giving the app the RealPlayer API, which is
> not something I'm comfortable doing. DPNH

I don't understand the relation to RealPlayer or "DPNH",
but about the whole ISV idea is: since I suspect some apps will want to set
themselves as default upon installation (even if we don't agree with it), we
might as well provide a way to do this cleanly rather than seeing these apps
hack into /usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list.
In any case this is the same level as sysadmin customizations, so whether or
not ISVs use it doesn't change anything to the spec.