mime apps specification

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Mon Apr 7 01:49:50 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 15:04 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> No idea how "DPNH" got there. Cat on a keyboard or something.
>

> RealPlayer was an app known for making terrible forceful
> customizations to the user's system on Windows. If you deleted the
> Start Menu, Desktop, or Quick Launch shortcut and ran RealPlayer, it
> would notice and re-add all the shortcuts. If it wasn't the default
> MIME handler, it would silently reregister itself for all media types
> it supported.
>

> Having an official way to do this is a way to tell ISVs that they
> *should* do this,

We also have official ways to delete every user owned files...

>  that it's recommended practice if you have an app that handles a MIME
> type. Apps that want to force their way into the user's customizations
> are RealPlayer, and we should let them feel shameful hacking
> up /usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list on install, and bare the
> responsibility if it breaks, not give them an API for it.

This is silly. In the long run, those files won't be accessible to
applications. Right now, applications can already set themselves as the
default application for each user when they're run, it was simply
implemented in desktop/toolkit-specific ways.