mime apps specification

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 13:50:05 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Vladimir Kudrya <vladimir-csp at yandex.ru> wrote:
> On 14.04.2014 00:32, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
>
> That *is* the rule, downstream always overrides. You calculate the
> list on each step while adding items to the blacklist as you find them
> *from most local to most global*.
>
> I'm not really sure how to make it more clear. David made sure the
> wording of the algorithm was easy to follow.
>
> That sounds more like upstream concatenates.
>
> Example: Upstream (system-level mimeapps.list) has app1.desktop in
> [Removed]. How do I override this downstream (user-level mimeapps.list)?

You add it in [Added Applications] (or [Default Applications] if you
need it as default), lower downstream.
When the spec says "read from most local to most global", it does
imply you should pick up the results in the order they were read.

You seem very intent on the spec not working the way you want, when it
does exactly what you're asking it to. I'm sure it could use wording
improvements but downstream (more-local) does override.

J. Leclanche