Additional devices in icon-naming-spec

Côme BERNIGAUD come.bernigaud at opensides.be
Mon Apr 14 07:19:27 PDT 2014

> That's for media types though. According to the spec the fallback for
> devices is understood as <primary function>-<manufacturer>-<model>.
> Falling back on "headphone" if "headphone-headset" is not present
> sounds fine, but then needs to be specified as such imho.
> "drive-removable-media" which is also in the spec would make no sense
> as "drive-removable"; same goes for "multimedia-player".
True, but there is a lot of uses of this kind of fallbacks, it is often
used for mimetypes, and applications, I’ve seen themes with
internet-mail-thunderbird icon and internet-mail fallback (btw,
applications/internet-mail and applications/internet-browser are not
even in icon-naming-spec :-O)
Maybe we should even add this fallback logic to icon-theme-spec?
> In a more generic way: Agreed on computer-laptop. Also agreed on
> audio-headphones and audio-headphones-headset. Maybe
> media-flash-sdcard instead of media-sdcard.
Why not.
> I suppose it would make sense to move things to a mobile- prefix if
> you go with that. mobile-pda (move it there), mobile-phone (does not
> replace phone, however would fall back to it I suppose),
This is a problem I had also, most themes have a mobile phone icon in
devices/phone, and when you DO need an icon for phones, you’re screwed.
> mobile-phone-smartphone, mobile-tablet, mobile-tablet-reader (?
> instead of ebook-reader). We could also move multimedia-player to
> mobile-multimedia-player.
not sure about ebook specializing tablet and multimedia-player in mobile…
> I didn't want to nab the name "fax" as that is what you would call the
> document itself. If a single-word logic must be retained, we could go
> with one of "phone-fax", "telecopier" or "phone-telecopier". Anyway,
> for some reason I don't think there'll be too many actual users of
> that icon :)
devices/fax can be used as the document itself would not be in devices.
telecopier is also ok. Not sure about putting that under phone prefix…