Additional devices in icon-naming-spec

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 06:24:11 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Côme BERNIGAUD
<come.bernigaud at opensides.be> wrote:
> Yes, please step forward and update this spec which has not been updated
> since 2006 and lacks a lot of stuff.
> I had great troubles with icons not having consistent names across themes
> (just look at Tango and Oxygen, both does not use the same conventions for
> things which are not defined in icon-naming-spec).
>
> I think you don’t need the device- prefix as these icons will be in the
> devices category.
>
> You may wanna use the fallback system and rename headset to
> headphone-headset, falling back to headphone if this one is not there.
> From icon-naming-spec: «The specific media type icons should be named in the
> form, <primary function>-<specific format>. Some examples are
> “media-optical”, “media-optical-bd” and “media-optical-dvd”.», so I guess
> it’s a good thing to reuse this dash generic prefix system.

That's for media types though. According to the spec the fallback for
devices is understood as <primary function>-<manufacturer>-<model>.
Falling back on "headphone" if "headphone-headset" is not present
sounds fine, but then needs to be specified as such imho.
"drive-removable-media" which is also in the spec would make no sense
as "drive-removable"; same goes for "multimedia-player".

> This is also why you should avoid using dashes in "ebook-reader" and
> "fax-machine", unless you expect more generic ones called fax and ebook.
> Maybe some devices should have a common prefix, I’m thinking for instance of
> modem and router. Fax may also be printer-fax, not sure. Should tablet be
> pda-tablet or phone-tablet? multimedia-tablet? computer-tablet might be the
> more accurate.
> headphone and headset should definitely have an audio- prefix.
> laptop should be computer-laptop.

In a more generic way: Agreed on computer-laptop. Also agreed on
audio-headphones and audio-headphones-headset. Maybe
media-flash-sdcard instead of media-sdcard.
I suppose it would make sense to move things to a mobile- prefix if
you go with that. mobile-pda (move it there), mobile-phone (does not
replace phone, however would fall back to it I suppose),
mobile-phone-smartphone, mobile-tablet, mobile-tablet-reader (?
instead of ebook-reader). We could also move multimedia-player to
mobile-multimedia-player.
I didn't want to nab the name "fax" as that is what you would call the
document itself. If a single-word logic must be retained, we could go
with one of "phone-fax", "telecopier" or "phone-telecopier". Anyway,
for some reason I don't think there'll be too many actual users of
that icon :)

We could move router to network-router. modem can stay where it's at.

Forgot two in my original email: drive-harddisk-ssd, for SSDs (falls
back to drive-harddisk) and media-sim for SIM cards (need it on phones
and tablets).