Free desktop application distribution and installation

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Dec 8 18:19:55 PST 2014

On 8 December 2014 at 18:09, Mattias Andrée <maandree at member.fsf.org> wrote:

> The goal was to make it as simple as possible, but
> perhaps there is a simpler way than UUID:s.

My idea is that the new system leaves all the dependency management to
distros: an end user application can depend on distro packages, but can't
be depended on itself, so it wouldn't have an ID to specify as a
dependency. If a unique ID is needed, which it certainly may be, I'd go for
something more like Apple's UTIs (e.g. com.microsoft.Excel), which have at
least some meaning without a lookup table.

Thomas