volatile config data and XDG Base Directory spec

Mon Feb 24 06:09:23 PST 2014

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro> wrote:
> Back to STATE: Yes, it's hard already with the existing categories to get
> projects to conform. But I believe that the spec is short on examples and
> explanations. This thread and the Debian wiki page already contain some
> helpful hints that might be worth to be included in a next version of the
> spec.

A good spec is done when there's nothing left to remove, any more.

That being said, I tried to get some changes into that document
several years ago as it's needlessly complicated and could use an
appendix, imo. I suspect that familiarity with the specs make it hard
for XDG veterans to see it like relative newcomers. This is not meant
as an offense, this just happens, sometimes.

Long story short, I think the specs could use a rewrite, no matter
what happens with state.

I would gladly help out if given some guidance on what to keep in mind
and if this would be something that's likely to be merged.

Thanks,
Richard