More about "intents": Several improvements to desktop files and caches

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Wed Jan 8 07:31:12 PST 2014

Le Wed, 08 Jan 2014 14:11:04 +0000,
Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> a écrit :

> On 08/01/14 14:03, Dominique Michel wrote:
> > It is another issue with the terminal emulators, some use -e to
> > launch applications, other use -x, and I am not convinced the
> > wrapper glue they done in Debian recently around gnome-terminal and
> > x-terminal-emulator (Debian terminal), instead of fixing
> > this at the application level, will solve all the cases.
>
> What you need here is to define a protocol (or an API, if you prefer
> that term): as you point out, just saying "use this executable" is
> insufficient, unless all available implementations have some sort of
> protocol in common. That protocol can be a D-Bus interface, or a
> particular set of command-line options, or whatever, but it must
> exist.

In Crystal, a function test a variable which represent the terminal
in use, and call that term with the appropriate command-line options.
Some time ago, fvwm introduced internal variables that can be used
instead of environmental variables, and I used a script to move some
of the preferences to that new kind of fvwm variables. I just find this
messed up that function (the available tests are unfortunately not the
same with these 2 kinds of variables, and I missed this one), so this is
a regression into fvwm-crystal, and not a problem with gnome-terminal
or x-terminal-emulator. I am in the way to fix it.

Best,
Dominique