Unhappy with xdg-user-dirs

Mattias Andrée maandree at member.fsf.org
Sun Aug 2 16:46:59 PDT 2015

I would purpose xdg-user-dirs-update be removed.
Directories should not be automatically created,
especially not over and over again if you remove them;
it should not require research to remove a directory.

Additionally I propose xdg-user-dir should fail if the
a directory is not listed, rather than defaulting to
the home directory. Just because I don't want directories
created for me, it does not been that I want everything
in my home directory.

Finally I propose filename_encoding be removed from
user-dirs.conf. UTF-8 should always be used. Why would
you not use UTF-8? Using any other encoding may cause
inconsistency since most programs are hardcoded to only
use UTF-8. It's time to move on from legacy codings.