Proposed change to desktop-entry-spec: make StartupWMClass a "string(s)" field

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Feb 25 09:44:18 PST 2015

On Tuesday 27 January 2015 14:10:25 Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> StartupWMClass usage should be considered legacy. In order to compute a
> mapping from window class to .desktop file, we need to read *all* files
> from disk, which is super expensive to do first thing on boot.

But the same is true when you want to find out which apps can handle a certain
mimetype, etc. This is why we have binary caches for .desktop files in various
implementations (and I'm still hoping we can get a standard one updated at
install time, which Ryan Lortie was working on a long time ago...)

Working on KDE Frameworks 5