send notifications to all users

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Sun Feb 22 07:40:55 PST 2015

Hi,

* Thomas Koch <thomas at koch.ro> [2015-02-22 14:52]:
> On Saturday, February 21, 2015 06:26:57 PM Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> > How about wall(1)? It's simple, works cross platform and is the
> > only mechanism that notifies all users[*] regardless of whether
> > they are logged in via SSH, on a virtual console, a terminal
> > emulator, or in a X session through a desktop notification via
> > kwrited (by default in KDE) or xwrited in any other DE that has a
> > XDG notification daemon.
>
> Hi Guido,
>
> thank you! Of course I found wall when googling, but I didn't find a solution
> to display wall messages to a Desktop user. Your xwrited seems to be a good
> solution.

glad to hear that.

> I tried to clone it with hg clone, hg clone --insecure and git clone hg:: but
> neither worked with the url https://hg.guido-berhoerster.org/projects/xwrited,
> also with just http.
>
> And the download link to the last version doesn't work on https://code.guido-berhoerster.org/projects/xwrited/#downloads.

Sorry about that, the download link should be fixed now, see
https://code.guido-berhoerster.org/projects/xwrited/downloads/xwrited-1.tar.gz

Cloning over https still doesn't work, uwsgi somehow eats query
strings, I'll debug that later. However, you can download a tarball
of the repo via the web interface
https://hg.guido-berhoerster.org/projects/pk-update-icon/archive/tip.tar.bz2

> Maybe you'd like to switch to git instead of mercurial? :-)

Nope  :-)

> Do you know whether anybody already started a package for Debian?

Not that I'm aware of, I only maintain a package on OBS for
openSUSE.
--
Guido Berhoerster