Proposed change to desktop-entry-spec: make StartupWMClass a "string(s)" field

Andy AndydeCleyre at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 10:05:05 PST 2015

Hi,

Some applications make use of multiple windows of different types, with
different values for StartupWMClass. If the desktop entry spec supported a
semicolon-delimited list of values for the StartupWMClass field, then
libraries like bamf could make use of that information to better match
windows to applications.

The particular case which came up for me is with KDE's telepathy text UI,
which uses a different StartupWMClass for the contact list and the chat
windows, where the chat windows don't have an executable or desktop entry
of their own, but are really just a component of the same application
launched by the contact list desktop entry. I see the ideal solution as
adding

StartupWMClass=ktp-contactlist;ktp-text-ui;

to ktp-contactlist.desktop, but that syntax (multiple values) is not
supported by relevant libraries. I believe the first step toward that kind
of support would be an update to the spec legitimizing that syntax.

Thanks for reading,
Andy