xdg & screensavers

Norman Goldstein normvcr at telus.net
Tue Nov 3 21:02:37 PST 2015

On 03/11/15 03:06 PM, Florian Müllner wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 11:53 PM, Norman Goldstein <normvcr at telus.net> wrote:
>> It seems, then, that XDG is able to suspend the gnome screen saver/locker,
>> but gnome does not expose this ability in gnome's public interface.
> I'm not sure what you mean by "public interface", but xdg-screensaver
> calls a DBus method on org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver that GNOME
> implements. Though I'm not sure why you want to use some script/method
> instead of turning off Settings->Privacy->Screen Lock->Automatic
> Screen Lock ...
When I set Automatic Screen Lock to OFF,
-- "gnome lock" kicks in when xscreensaver is set to a 11 minute wait
-- xscreensaver kicks in when xscreensaver is set to a 1 minute wait

so there seems to persist a race between xscreensaver and the gnome lock
screen.
I will file a bug report.

> (Also if you do want to use a script, "gnome-session-inhibit
> --inhibit-only" allows you to inhibit the screen saver without
> specifying a command/window ID)
This works for me, and is not something I was previously aware of.
Thanks for that.  To automate this, I could put this command into
.config/autostart .

Apparently, there are many different ways to approach the screen saver
(and probably all the gnome capabilities).