Batis - XDG-based packaging for Linux desktop apps

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Sat Nov 21 07:58:48 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 20:54 +0000, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015, at 08:09 PM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> > I'm worried. We have xdg-app, we have batis, and I learned that the
> > KDE people are working on their own thing as well.
>
> I haven't heard about the KDE project in this space - is there any
> website for that?
>
> I have looked at xdg-app before, and it looks interesting, but it also
> looks an order of magnitude more ambitious and complex than what I'm
> doing. The homepage for it talks a lot about sandboxing technologies,
> and something called OSTree, which is apparently "git for operating
> system binaries". That's fine for keen Linux desktop developers like the
> GNOME team, but I find it hard to imagine cross-platform application
> developers, who may not even run Linux day to day, figuring it all out.

It's really not that difficult for application developers, and it will
only get easier with better tooling and documentation in the future.

I think you're confusing understanding how a system works underneath
with understanding how to use it. GitHub is a testament to the massive
number of people who use git. A very small handful of those people
really truly grok how git works under the hood.

--
Shaun