Batis - XDG-based packaging for Linux desktop apps

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sat Nov 21 09:14:37 PST 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015, at 03:58 PM, Shaun McCance wrote:
> I think you're confusing understanding how a system works underneath
> with understanding how to use it. GitHub is a testament to the massive
> number of people who use git. A very small handful of those people
> really truly grok how git works under the hood.

I'm not confusing those things, but I think it's important that
developers can understand what's going on as well as how to use the
tools. This is a complex topic - clearly there's a lot of stuff we use
every day without really understanding - but broadly I'm not comfortable
with saying "don't worry about how this works, just use it". People use
git, but they're not exactly happy about its incomprehensible nature
(https://xkcd.com/1597/ ;-). One of my aims with Batis was precisely to
keep it easy to understand, not just easy to use.

Thomas