AVCHD Camcorder SD cards

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Fri Apr 15 09:43:28 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-04-01 at 22:48 +0100, Christopher Hoskin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in detecting when an SD card used in a camcorder is
> connected to a computer. There appears to be a convention (possibly a
> standard, but I don't have a reference?) that camcorders recording to
> the AVCHD format structure their file layout as shown here:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AVCHD_actual_file_structure.jpg
>
> Currently this results in a Camcorder SD card being identified as 'x-
> content/image-dcf', which typically leads to the desktop environment
> automatically opening a photo editing application, rather than a
> video editing application.
>
> As a first draft, the entry might look something like this:
>
>   <mime-type type="x-content/camcorder-avchd">
>     <_comment>AVCHD Camcorder SD Card</_comment>
>     <treemagic>
>       <treematch path="PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM" type="directory"
> non-empty="true"/>
>     </treemagic>
>   </mime-type>
>
> I am not an expert in this area, so this may need some refinement.
>
> I would be interested to know your thoughts on whether it would be
> appropriate to introduce such a MIME type?

Mime-types should be added to shared-mime-info. See the HACKING file on
how to submit new mime-types.

However, the main problem is what do you expect to open this mime-type?
What application, if passed the path to the SD card, will recognise
that it's from a camcorder and offer a different behaviour?

I guess the problem is that it's wrongly detected as a camera, though
it's hard to know why based on the information you provided. Whether or
not you add a mime-type for AVCHD camcorders, it will still be detected
as a camera.

Cheers