Preference Opening Specification

Corentin Noël corentin at elementaryos.org
Fri Jan 15 15:28:37 PST 2016

Hi everyone,
Many desktop environments have their own System Settings applications,
but there is no clear way for developers to call settings from within
their applications  without resorting to hardcoding in commands for
each and every Settings app.
I propose a new specification that similar to other scheme handling in
Desktop files, through a new settings:// URI. With this, developers
could call on Settings applications, without resorting to hardcoding,
provided a desktop environment supports it. For example, an application
calling settings://bluetooth would open Bluetooth settings for a given
desktop environment.

Here is the specification I propose:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N0uqNtVXEFn3cLgNMeN75mP_dpMpCco-7uw5PKow-_Q/edit?usp=sharing

I'm of course open to changes and feedbacks,
Corentin Noël
elementary OS Developer