Preference Opening Specification

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Fri Jan 15 15:36:13 PST 2016

I'm not against this, but what's the goal for applications to be able
to launch the System Settings? Some entries like "Privacy" seem fairly
opaque -- anything in there I could also imagine being in other places
in other DEs. If the goal is to be able to direct users to a certain
setting, these categories seem too coarse for anything out of the
ordinary.

If I have a screen sharing app, and I want to direct users to be able
to enable it, is that under "Privacy", "Security", or "Network
Sharing"? What about file sharing?

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Corentin Noël
<corentin at elementaryos.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Many desktop environments have their own System Settings applications, but
> there is no clear way for developers to call settings from within their
> applications  without resorting to hardcoding in commands for each and every
> Settings app.
> I propose a new specification that similar to other scheme handling in
> Desktop files, through a new settings:// URI. With this, developers could
> call on Settings applications, without resorting to hardcoding, provided a
> desktop environment supports it. For example, an application calling
> settings://bluetooth would open Bluetooth settings for a given desktop
> environment.
>
> Here is the specification I propose:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N0uqNtVXEFn3cLgNMeN75mP_dpMpCco-7uw5PKow-_Q/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I'm of course open to changes and feedbacks,
> Corentin Noël
> elementary OS Developer

  Jasper