Preference Opening Specification

Corentin Noël corentin at elementaryos.org
Fri Jan 15 15:53:02 PST 2016

Le 16 janv. 2016 12:36 AM, "Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpierre at mecheye.net> a
écrit :

> I'm not against this, but what's the goal for applications to be able
> to launch the System Settings? Some entries like "Privacy" seem fairly
> opaque -- anything in there I could also imagine being in other places
> in other DEs. If the goal is to be able to direct users to a certain
> setting, these categories seem too coarse for anything out of the
> ordinary.

That's where the freedesktop group is useful, let me know the categories
that would make sense in most distributions.
About the use, not just apps but other parts of the desktop environment
would be using it too.

> If I have a screen sharing app, and I want to direct users to be able
> to enable it, is that under "Privacy", "Security", or "Network
> Sharing"? What about file sharing?

Well you're already covering the corner cases, but I think it's the same
issue as asking how as a user would I find X setting in the setting app. So
here I have no answer for you yet as I've never seen screen sharing on the
desktop.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N0uqNtVXEFn3cLgNMeN75mP_dpMpCco-7uw5PKow-_Q/edit?usp=sharing